 Organizations / Canada / NALUG / 132
Re: Train show details
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 20:09:15 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.nalug, Steve Chapple writes:
In lugnet.org.ca.nalug, Steve Chapple writes:
In lugnet.org.ca.nalug, Michel Magnan writes:
The problem with bringing the monorail down to the right, is the
tall structures in the way.  Going to the left, doesn't have a bridge,
but has no tall structures to dodge.

I'm not following you.  Other than the grain elevator and the
mountain, what's tall enough to pose a major problem?

Well - It's been a couple days since anyone's posted (or e-mailed) about
the show.  We've only got about a week left, and I'm still rather vague
on things, having not been able to make it to St. Paul.  I'm guessing
that Michel is too busy to respond, and everybody else is basically
leaving it up the two of us?  If the layout is quite crowded with
buildings, container loading cranes, etc. should I just increase the
"altitude" of the monorail?  For example, use three pillars instead of
just one?  I can bring lots of bricks and beams on Friday and improvise
the supports then - you don't mind if there's a monorail pillar sticking
out of the odd building roof, right?   8-)

heh... nope.

In fact.... depending on how ambitious I get, I might make a bigger station.
It really will depend on how energetic I get this weekend.  (I've not done
anything in the last week or two, because I (re)injured my back helping some
friends move stuff over the long weekend.

The problem with the right side of the layout is mostly that the front of the
grain elevator opens, and needs swing room.  So there's precious little space
between the elevator and the bridge for permanent structures. (that, and the

One thing you could do, which might draw some gawkers hoping for a crash, is
just run the monorail track off into space, with a switch at the end. ;)

More seriously, monorail loops tight enough to run it back up the same side,
doesn't it?

James
(the sporadically busy, and not guaranteed to answer)