 Off-Topic / Pun / 598
Re: Silly Town Names
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.pun
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 2000 20:48:05 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.pun, Deadmaker wrote:

I don't know for sure if this exists, but I believe there is a small town in
Michigan called Hell.

Yup.  Michigan also has towns named Paradise, Christmas, Climax, Bad Axe
(which at least some locals pronounce "b'dax", which is sort of weird all
on its own), and Gaylord.

There's about 10 miles between Alaska and Wyoming.  Alaska's just north of
Caledonia.  I had a friend who lived on Illinois St., in Wyoming, Michigan.
Places named after other places are really silly.  I figure when we
colonize Mars, the capital will be "Newer New York".

Don't get me started on place names taken from various Native American
languages, but filtered through the French.

Steve