 Off-Topic / Pun / 595
Re: Silly Town Names
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.pun
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 2000 07:07:33 GMT

OK, but it's a good clean kind of funny, Wagga-wagga. America has terrific
native American place names too.

I was visiting a cousin on Kinnickinnick St recently. You just have to drive
over a bump in the road and it says its own name! Then there's Oconomowoc. A
friend of a friend of mine is invited to my wedding just because she was from
there, and anybody that knows where Oconomowoc is, is 'in' in my fiancee's book.
This is all up by Lake Gitcheegoomee, a name nobody says anymore except (singer)
Gordon Lightfoot. Oh, and I use it just for effect. When I was a kid, my dad and
my brother used to pull my leg about Lake Bigmoosmeguntick, and I didn't think
it was at all out of the ordinary, having learnt to spell Michillimackinack (ok
I can't spell it anymore..)

There's all the places named for copies of England (he types, from the Georgian
House of Kew Gardens next door to the Buckingham and Windsor, newly populated by
Russians--cold war shivers?), The Netherlands (at least in New York, uhh, Nieuw
Amsterdam), and the whole darn ancient Mediterranean. I went to school in Troy
with students from Rome, Phoenicia, Cairo, Malta, Ithaca, you name it. And I'm
marrying a student from Carthage. And York is a British corruption of the Roman
Eboracum and I'm waiting to see *that* on a map.

OK, back on the funny track: Climax, Colorado, elevation 11,318 ft.

I also like Slumgullion Pass. Don't know what it means.