 Off-Topic / Geek / 5131
Re: Trouble with IE, PNG and BS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 2006 09:06:44 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Geoffrey Hyde wrote:

"Didier Enjary" <d.enjary@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message
Hi,

Sorry for this somewhat off-topic subject which I'm not sure where to
post -
I've FUT to off-topic.geek.

I've recently uploaded PNG file format pictures (Photoshop generated) to
BS for
the first time (I was used with JPGs).

The upload has worked well but I'm not able to see them with IE (6.0)
under
Windows XP. (thumbs are ok but pictures are black). All is fine using
Firefox.

Even more weirdness here, the first time I clicked on the link below, all
was fine as IE opened it up with QuickTime.

I've never encountered trouble with IE reading PNGs before.

Am I wrong with recording the PNGs pictures in PhotoShop (a light edition
that
comes with digital cameras)?

The gallery (yet moderated) :

And then when I clicked here, the thumbnails are all fine, yet when I click
a pic, the pic inserted into the frame turns black!

One picture which is wrong with IE :
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/dickydidier/BuildingInstruction/Train/Plat/plat.png
(appears totally black)

When clicking this one directly, IE loads it using the QuickTime plugin, and
loads it correctly.

I'm not sure what that means, but it is certainly weird!  Do you have
QuickTime installed on your machine?

Yes, I have QT installed but IE does not launch it when I click the pictures
deep links.

I guess all this comes from the png file format, the way Photoshop record them
(how it manages transparencies for instance) and the way viewers recognize the
file format.

Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde