 Off-Topic / Debate / 27943
Re: Trouble with IE, PNG and BS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 2006 11:02:42 GMT

In lugnet.general, Timothy Gould wrote:
In lugnet.general, Geoffrey Hyde wrote:

"Tim Gould" <tgould.lego(AT@)gmail(DOT.)com> wrote in message
news:J784tv.ECz@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.general, Geoffrey Hyde wrote:

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you here. What Didier probably should
have
done was post the original to both .general and .off-topic.geek but it is
up to
the original poster to set the FUT with consideration to where the
should go.

I think what Didier should have done is decide where he actually wanted to
post the message in the first place.  Which is why confusion with top
messages in a tree and FUT can abound.  Most people generally will simply
read right past anything saying FUT is directed, and unless there is a way
to write it in the equivalent of very large letters in red ink that will be
automatically display on the newsreader's preview pane on the screen, people
will continue to read right past the FUT announcements in newsgroup posts.

That is great, except in some cases such as .announce.moc, which doesn't allow
replies, so you are forced to set followups if you post there.

I just realised something which is that if you are changing the followup-to you
should mark it at the bottom of the message (as I have just done). That is
something Didier should have done.

That is true, otherwise people trying to follow the thread on a newsreader will
probably not see any replies. Of course an astute replier would see the FUT had
been set incorrectly, and add the original newsgroup to their reply, to prompt
others about where they are likely to find other replies.

In the end, FUT is only a suggestion anyway, you are free to post replies
anywhere, and in fact there's no rule saying newsreaders even have to respect
it, though I'm pretty sure most do. It comes down to most people not bothering
to check what groups they are replying to (and I am guilty of that too).

He did solve his problem though, apparently it's another MS IE "feature"
whereby they decided not to support .PNG format and so have made .PNG images
with alpha channel information go blank without warning.  ;)

I think the simple answer is "IE is crap, use a decent browser" ;)

No comment.

ROSCO