 Off-Topic / Geek / 4885 (-20)
  Re: Sonar question

(...) ***snip*** (...) Good info--thanks. It started out as an idle curiosity, but then I really got to wondering about it. (...) That's what I get for leaving out the 8^) You'll probably poo-poo my plan to install a screen door on the airlock, too. (...) (20 years ago, 20-Oct-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Sonar question

(...) Only if there are sufficient holes in the obstacle to allow the sonar to read objects through them. You should be able to read another object through a chain-link fence, but not a privacy fence with overlapping boards. (...) Sound waves bounce (...) (20 years ago, 20-Oct-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Universal Universal remote

I think I want one of these: :-) (URL) wonder what the societal norms about turning off TVs without permission will evolve to be? (20 years ago, 20-Oct-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Sonar question

Can sonar "see" around objects? Can it detect, for example, a sub hiding on the other side of a reef or similar underwater obstacle? Here's why I'm asking: The kitchenette in my office is around the corner and down a hall, so I can't see when (...) (20 years ago, 20-Oct-04, to lugnet.build.military, lugnet.boats, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Worst Scheduler Ever

(...) Hey, as long as you got paid twice.... (20 years ago, 19-Oct-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Worst Scheduler Ever

(...) I had the wonderful experience of being part of a team that switched to the software back when I used to work in web hosting support. Appearently, it was going to be used to make sure that we had only enough support staff on hand for the (...) (20 years ago, 18-Oct-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Worst Scheduler Ever

Does anyone else suffer under the benighted corporate monstrosity known as Blue Pumpkin? I'd be gratified to hear of others' frustrations with this idiotic piece of pseudo-useful software. Thanks. Dave! (20 years ago, 18-Oct-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.people)

  Re: Insert Tab A into...wait, which one's Slot B?

(...) No. Why would you think so? Most(1) government RFPs state "award will be made to the offer which demonstrates the best overall value to the government considering price, technical merit and past performance." I'd say LM's past performance is (...) (20 years ago, 16-Oct-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Insert Tab A into...wait, which one's Slot B?

(URL) for Lockheed Martin. I'd wonder how many contracts NASA would be throwing their way, but as a government agency, aren't they sorta required to always go with the lowest bid? (20 years ago, 15-Oct-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: SourceForge Questions

(...) Works perfectly, thanks. Not having to answer that question a bunch of times makes like a little easier! Thanks, Mike (20 years ago, 14-Oct-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: SourceForge Questions

(...) Assuming you're using openssh, you can look at ssh-agent. Basically, it's a process that runs in the background, that you can load your keys into (entering your passphrase once), and it will make the keys available for the ssh sessions that (...) (20 years ago, 14-Oct-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  SourceForge Questions

I have a question for all of you SourceForge gurus out there. I have a non-LEGO project (its related to work) hosted on SourceForge. I have my Sun workstation and my WinXP PC both configured to use CVS and both work without any problems. I use (...) (20 years ago, 14-Oct-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Lavender Brick Society

(...) I actually sat down and examined the way right- and left-handed scissors work and figured out how to use either style in either hand. It's visciously uncomfortable to use scissors in the wrong hand, but it can be done. (...) I've also trained (...) (20 years ago, 20-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Lavender Brick Society

(...) I was pretty much ambidexterous when I was young--wrote with both hands until my Gr. 1 or 2 teacher (can't remember which) sat me down and told me to 'pick a hand' 'cause my printing of letters would either slant to the left or to the right, (...) (20 years ago, 20-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Lavender Brick Society

"Purple Dave" <purpledave@maskofdestiny.com> wrote in message news:I4CG4p.nt4@lugnet.com... (...) alone, but (...) and he (...) either (...) grab a (...) the (...) trained (...) I can only write with my left hand.. and only use a scissor with my (...) (20 years ago, 20-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  LENNI Specification v0.2 Request For Comment

Thanks so far to everyone who's participated in the LEGO Enthusiast News Network Initiative (LENNI) discussions. I've gotten a very clear idea of what types of things should be in this proposal, and have completed the draft of version 0.2, which is (...) (20 years ago, 12-Sep-04, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.announce, FTX)

  Re: Another LENNI Question (geek alert)

(...) I like this solution. The schema can be used not only for validation, but can be pulled to get the list of possible values. Quick question though - can't the list of allowed values be specified in the DTD, which we're going to maintain anyway? (...) (20 years ago, 11-Sep-04, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Another LENNI Question (geek alert)

Next techie question for LENNI… including semi-dynamic options for filters. OK, now that I've gotten a pretty good idea of what to do with the LENNI spec (which should have a v0.2 draft this weekend), the one big question that is still bugging me is (...) (20 years ago, 9-Sep-04, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: Starcraft Protoss MOC

(...) (URL) (20 years ago, 8-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Starcraft Protoss MOC

(...) Moses was Protoss? Awesome. I'll bet he was a High Templar. What upgrade do you need to get the "part seas" ability? Cuz there were times I coulda used that... Who says la-za-zurg, anyway? I don't see anything like it on that page we found: (...) (20 years ago, 8-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact