 Off-Topic / Geek / 4655 (-10)
  Re: New LUGNET server hardware details

(...) That summarizes it pretty well. SATA is something like five times cheaper per byte, and that's not even counting that we'd need a more expensive motherboard with a SCSI controller. Right now, disk isn't really the bottleneck for the load, so (...) (21 years ago, 29-Feb-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: New LUGNET server hardware details

(...) Yes, no one there to change tapes or CDs. The data will be frequently synced to off-site locations -- not just Todd's place. (...) What, planning for a nuclear calamity are you? :) (But yeah, we'll have that.) (21 years ago, 29-Feb-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: New LUGNET server hardware details

(...) Excellent point. Looks like there's three differentm steppings for this particular CPU model, and any of the first two can be mixed freely, but the third can't. I've messed with all this stuff before, but it doesn't hurt to be reminded of it, (...) (21 years ago, 29-Feb-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: New LUGNET server hardware details

(...) Matthew could answer this better than I, but my opinion is that the money is put to better use in ECC memory, and gobs of it. We're starting of with 1GB of RAM, upgradeable to 8GB. Since the OS automatically allocates unused RAM toward (...) (21 years ago, 29-Feb-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: New LUGNET server hardware details

(...) Nope, I hate tape backup (too slow, too small, too expensive, too unreliable) and CDR's are too small and too labor intensive. Of course, the lack of a CDRW drive doesn't preclude physical media backups from being carried out elsewhere. (...) (...) (21 years ago, 29-Feb-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: New LUGNET server hardware details

(...) Interesting that the HDDs are serialATA rather than SCSI. However from my experiences this week no bad thing. One server with dual HDDs in a mirrored RAID config had the SCSI controller backplane fail. However replacing it lost all the data on (...) (21 years ago, 29-Feb-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: New LUGNET server hardware details

(...) Hmm, no tape drive or CDRW. How does off-site backup work---over the wires to Todd's office? I do hope that there is a backup outside of Boston. . . (21 years ago, 28-Feb-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  RE: New LUGNET server hardware details

Ok, first time I've posted to off-topic, so hopefully I put in the TO header properly :) Matthew, I just want to point out one thing to make sure of with the two processors you are getting now. Make sure the stepping is same so when you go to dual (...) (21 years ago, 28-Feb-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Appleseed (was Re: "Prowler" Autonomous Battle Tank)

(...) V...v...volume five? Really? It's coming? ohpleaseohpleaseohpl...seohplease let it be so... Link? I'm dyin' over here... Soren (21 years ago, 26-Feb-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: skirting port blocking?

(...) Unfortunately, some ISPs (verizon, I believe is one) make it so their server only lets you use a From address with their domain name on it. (21 years ago, 26-Feb-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact