 Off-Topic / Geek / 4532
Re: The Brick Testament: More Laws than You Can Shake a Stick At
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 14:24:25 GMT

If you arrange the folders in the same manner on the new host it should be a
rather easy task of "search and replace" all of the HTML-files at once.
Dreamweaver, for example, has a function like that.

I.e.; Search: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=7844
Replace with: http://cakili.image.pbase.com/image

Hi, Tobbe.

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately it isn't that simple in this case.
My new image host, pbase.com, assigns names to each image that are unique
8-digit numbers.  To direct link to an image, I have to use this sort of URL:

http://www.pbase.com/image/22111491.jpg

The old Brickshelf direct link looked like this:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/revbps/bricktestament/beast/ex22_18.jpg

Hence, there was no simple "search and replace" function I could use.  Had to
change them all manually, one change for each unique image I was re-hosting.

Time consuming and tedious, yes, but I didn't see any other way around it.

Having spent all day on it, though, I'm happy to say it's finally completed.

I worry that, going so fast, I've made some mistakes and some images won't be
displaying properly.  If anyone happens to notice this, I'd appreciate being
notified.  Thanks!

-Rev. Smith