 Off-Topic / Debate / 22388
Re: The Brick Testament: More Laws than You Can Shake a Stick At
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 17:36:04 GMT

In lugnet.build.ancient, Brendan Powell Smith wrote:
You could take out the whole part about the "false prophet" being Jesus, and I
would still find the whole story very disturbing, especially when combined with
"When to Stone Your Whole Family" and "Religious Tolerance".  I think the
questions we're left with are:

1) Why would God mandate that members of all other religions besides Judaism be
annihilated?

1. The Israelites were supposed to keep themselves pure. Allowing worshipers of
foreign gods to remain alive in their midst would corrupt them and lead them
into idolatry. They of course didn't do a very good job of this; otherwise there
wouldn't be all the stories of the kings of Israel/Judah either cleaning up
their act or being even more evil than their forefathers.

2) Is Yahweh, God of Judaism, the same as the multi-part God worshipped by
Christians?

2. Yes.

3) If the answer to 2 is yes, what sense can Christians make of their God
mandating that all members of other religions besides Judaism be annihilated?

3. The simple answer is the Law has been superceded by the new covenant we have
in Jesus Christ. The details of all that get very involved. Here's a good page I
found about this:
http://www.occ.edu/faculty/markmoore/mt517.htm

The purpose of my illustrating these stories is not to provide answers to these
questions, but just to get people thinking about them, no matter what answers
they eventually arrive at.  Well, that and to show off my LEGO skillz and maybe
provoke a chuckle or two.

You've certainly succeeded. Many of your interpretations have either made me
crack up laughing or left me in incredulous shock; either way it's entertaining
and provacative.

I've always loved your creativity with LEGO pieces. You figure out ways to use
them that make reading your stuff a pleasure. The way you build an infant
minifig is genius in its simplicity.