 Off-Topic / Geek / 3838
Re: The Internet (R)*
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 04:51:45 GMT

Thanks for continuing to add articles to this Ross...much apreciated! I've
been forwarding my findings to the news sites I read, and it's finally
starting to pop up. This is from PowerPage.org:

Palladium Consumer Oppression Scheme: Trust Microsoft?
Mon, 08 Jul 2002, 12:43
proclus

Here is the round up on Microsoft's latest world domination plan, a secure
operating system called "Palladium." (This C|Net article is a recommended
primer on Palladium and Trustworthy Computing.)

Microsoft's notions of "security" and "trust" are obviously one-sided, and
such a system would certainly be used to squash fair use and first sale
rights. Moreover, mono-culture is bad policy for computer security; damage
will be widespread when the system is inevitably compromised. The Internet
is our public common, but in this scheme Microsoft would be the sole
gatekeeper. Free software can protect you from such outrages, because the
source code is anchored to the commons for all to see. Use free software
instead of Microsoft products.

* ZDNet: MS: Why we can't trust your 'trustworthy' OS
* The Register: MS to eradicate GPL
* Washington Post: Microsoft Wants Security Hard-Wired in Your Computer
* Slashdot: MS Palladium patent
* Read the Palladium FAQ

Here are the links from the article:

http://investor.cnet.com/investor/news/newsitem/0-9900-1028-20116078-0.html

http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2873149,00.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A51780-2002Jun26.html

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02%2F07%2F07%2F133222&mode=thread&tid=109

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html

I find it funny that Coursey over at ZD is questioning this...he USED to be
strictly pro-MS until he decided to spend a month on an iMac G4 recently...a
month that he managed to stretch out to about two, BTW! 8?)

Matt