 Off-Topic / Geek / 3831
Re: The Internet (R)*
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 3 Jul 2002 03:59:07 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Richard Marchetti writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Ross Crawford writes:
Some more about it:
http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2873149,00.html

Already I refuse to go beyond Win2K because of all the hardware upgrade v.
authentication issues with stuff like WinXP.  Plus, I played with it at the
store, what's the big deal except for the transparent colored interface?
Well, I guess I would like that high resolution text thing XP has, but
that's about it. I'd rather they just gave us a single VERY stable OS before
going off to do new things.

Well, we got XP on a box here at work recently, and I've gotta say, IT BOOTS
FAST! I can shutdown, restart & log on *5 times* while my NT4 box is booting
to the log on screen! But other than that, I can't see much to write home about.

Eventually, I am going to go as Linux as I can.  Maybe also maintaining a
dual boot to some crappy Windows version or other.

My advice: don't even have dual boot. If you need Windoze, put it on a box
on its own in the corner (and only connect it to your *real* network if you
*really* need to).

The real problem is that the average users will accept whatever comes with
their hardware package -- even if that's some scary, rights violative OS.
They won't care.

I'm not clear how Paladium could track my activities, but I don't want an OS
that won't let me do pretty much whatever I want to do, whenever I want to
do it.  How does it favor me, the consumer, if my actions are dictated by
what my machine will allow me to do?  Why should I be paying for this kinda
crap?  If they want to surveillance me, I might actually be amenable to it
-- but I want to get paid for that exposure.

It'll be interesting to see exactly what it's gonna entail. Security *is* a
big issue, but you've gotta look at what it costs (and I don't just mean $$$).

ROSCO