 Off-Topic / Geek / 3839
Re: The Internet (R)*
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 05:01:08 GMT

Oops...here's another (related?) story I ran across...meant to post it
earlier. From SpyMac:

Everyone’s favorite software company is at it again, and apparently they
aren’t content with just software.

According to the tech news site, The Inquirer, the Economic News is
reporting that Microsoft wants to enter the hardware business and launch its
own line of self-described “Dream PCs.”

Not only is this a slap in the face to all of the Wintel PC manufacturers,
but also to chip makers Intel and AMD, as the “Dream PC” will use a Via C3
chip that will provide two year old performance at a blazing fast 600 MHz.
If this rumor and Microsoft’s Palladium initiative (whereby Microsoft would
control digital rights management and encryption of all personal data stored
on one's computer) become a reality, it would be very interesting to see how
the rest of the computer world reacts, especially with the growing disgust
of many manufacturers and customers with Microsoft’s recent licensing schemes.

No word yet on whether people would own their “Dream PC” or if they would
have to pay a yearly fee to license it from Microsoft.

This could turn out to be one sweet dream for Macintosh fans if this rumor
comes true, as it could potentially cause massive upheaval in the wintel
world and possibly the desertion of some manufacturers to other operating
systems.

Note to Michael, Ted, and Carly, if you are looking for a new OS to run on
your systems, email Steve at steve@mac.com. He’s got a great one over there
that’s easy to use, never crashes, and unlike other non-Microsoft OSs will
actually run versions of pretty much every major software title. (Ed: Mozart)

Here's the link to the Enquirer story:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=4248

Matt