 Off-Topic / Geek / 3770 (-20)
  punch cards (was "Minifig Head w/ Headset Over Brown Hair")

(...) Tell me about it. Sheesh. :-P Trivia note: Punch cards are the size that they are because that was the size of the U.S. bills printed by the U.S. Treasury at the time that punch cards were invented. What decade/era was this? (Answer is (...) (22 years ago, 7-Jun-02, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

(...) Ok, this points out a problem with constructions like this, they will have far more holes than something that was thought out. This particular construction is actually a good thought exercise for working out gming and campaign style. If (...) (22 years ago, 6-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

(...) It was just a quick example off the top of my head-- certainly, any such example will have piles of nits one can pick, and that's sort of my point-- anything's gonna have those sorts of problems, and finding those problems is exactly what PCs (...) (22 years ago, 6-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

(...) I'm curious, was this an example of a real scenario, and I'm just missing things because there's no way you can compress a game session into a posting or two, or is this a constructed example? If the latter, it sounds like a poorly constructed (...) (22 years ago, 6-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

(...) Because I'd like my players to be happy. I could instead, decide about how long it takes for a saboteur to blow up the ship, and then after fifteen minutes of game time have passed, say, "The walls of the ship glow white-hot and then you don't (...) (22 years ago, 6-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: twisted map

(...) Actually, Peters is a shameless self-promoter. His "Peters Projection" was in fact invented over 150 years ago by a fellow named Gall. Peters just popped in at the right time with the right tirade and put forth his "corrective" map that really (...) (22 years ago, 5-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: twisted map

(...) I want to jump in here and mention my favorite projection; when I first saw the Peters map, it blew my mind. Check it out: (URL) a high schooler, it really opened my eyes. Why *do* we still use the Mercator projection? -John (22 years ago, 5-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: twisted map

(...) ~Such fun! For I live upon the oblate spheroid of Terra. (The geoid of Earth) [I learned something new today!] Oh, and the stuff about the rhumb line, or, loxodrome has some applications in stellar cartography and the continuum of space. =P (...) (22 years ago, 5-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: twisted map

(...) cool. very cool. (...) cool, i would occasionally go down to the museum at the USGS HQ in Virginia and examine the collection of historical survey devices. (...) Well, I first started work with mapping when I spent two years providing (...) (22 years ago, 5-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: twisted map

(...) For hemispheric mapping, conic projections were generally used. Lambert can be applied cylindrically, though: (URL) Which gives the map severe t/b end compression. I'm not sure, again, what the maths are that govern the original map Suz put (...) (22 years ago, 5-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: twisted map

(...) I agree with your assessment that it is a transverse project, but I thought Lambert was only suitable for projections of a hemisphere? I could be mistaken though, it's been several years since I worried about projections and never did much (...) (22 years ago, 5-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: updating "Leg" files (was "The Mummy")

(...) Hrm... I thought that the freeware (or "nagware" as you put it ;-) version I have installed didn't support "zipping". I'll have to double-check. (...) Nope. I'm an old COBOL programmer who left the Air Force and went to college to learn about (...) (22 years ago, 4-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

(...) <snip> (...) This sounds to me like a scenario which isn't designed correctly for the tone of the campaign the GM wants to run. I also question the bit: "but you do have to be flexible to get the story where it needs to go." To me that sounds (...) (22 years ago, 4-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: updating "Leg" files (was "The Mummy")

(...) Maybe this is some running joke that I am unaware of -- if so, just disregard what follows. The same utility you use to unzip compressed files will more than likely create them as well. Or you could use something like WinZip, WinRar, WinAce, (...) (22 years ago, 4-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: updating "Leg" files (was "The Mummy")

(...) Nope, my parents' PC is a Dell, and I don't know what brand of PC-clone I've got at my apartment (it was a hand-me-down from Mom when she got the Dell). I know I've got a freeware application to *un*-zip stuff, I just don't have anything to (...) (22 years ago, 4-Jun-02, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

(...) It's not that simple... the GM _has_ to fudge things to keep PCs alive. If the party is in the warp core engine room and someone chucks in a big ol' grenade, there's two choices-- someone throws himself on it and becomes goo, or nobody does so (...) (22 years ago, 4-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: twisted map

(...) (URL) how many of the towns are placed correctly (after we have compensated for misspellings ;-). Jacob (22 years ago, 4-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: twisted map

(...) It's like one of those area conserving projections, the kind that stretch antarctica across the bottom. But instead of using the obvious north and south poles at the top and bottom (where there's maximum distortion), it uses an axis that goes (...) (22 years ago, 3-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: twisted map

(...) It's a transverse projection, probably at 45º of rotation--it looks like a Lambert, but without access to my Bugayevsky and Snyder [1] I couldn't tell you what the exact variation is called. There are so many names for so many slight (...) (22 years ago, 3-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

(...) I guess it's the wargamer in me which enjoys running tactical combats. I'll also admit to a bit of laziness (it's easier to throw a bunch of foes at the PCs than to come up with an interesting mystery). (...) I prefer not to fudge things, but (...) (22 years ago, 3-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact