 Off-Topic / Geek / 3309
Re: Be afraid...be VERY afraid...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 00:15:17 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Matthew Gerber writes:
(snipped)
Mac OS 9.2.1 Update-US - Export Compliance Agreement

Select language, then agree to the terms to download:

You agree that you will not export or reexport any of the software or
confidential information received from Apple (i) into (or to a national or
resident of) Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, North Korea, Serbia, Sudan, Syria,
Taliban controlled Afghanistan, or any other country to which the U.S. has
embargoed goods;

It is silly to think that Mac OS isn't already in some computer in most of
these nations - I mean, when I was in Cuba in '96 thy had their computers in
the hotel quite up to date. And I'm pretty sure the same applies to most
countries in the list. With the exception of Taliban Controlled Afghanistan,
where computers were banned as "sin".
Most of those countries have different priorities:

Cuba: pleasing tourists
Iran: preventing reforms
Iraq: selling oil again *legally*
Libya: becoming visible... and credible
NKorea: preventing reunification (at all costs)
Serbia: rebuilding ASAP
Sudan: civil war (it's sort of an institution around there)
Syria: not getting dragged to another destructive war with Israel
TcA: growing heroin, and returning to the middle ages. My favourite.

or (ii) to anyone on the U.S. Treasury Department's list of
Specially Designated Nationals and Blocked Persons, U.S. Commerce
Department's Table of Denial Orders and Entities List, or the U.S. State
Department's Debarred List.

What list? Is it included in the Licence Agreement, or is it something you
have to look for?

By downloading this software, you represent and
warrant that you are not located in, under the control of, or a national or
resident of any such country or on any such list. You also agree that you
will not use these products for any purposes prohibited by United States
law, including, without limitation, the development, design, manufacture or
production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons.

Check here to certify that you agree to comply with the Export Control
notice above.

I have never had to agree to terms like this for anything before.

Fair enough. The cold war made the world safer during the eighties, but its
end meant new enemies "had" to be found. Whether they pose a real threat or
not...
So this is not paranoia (or...is it?).

Obviously, the Mac is the weapons designer's platform of choice. If the Mac
is so powerful that it must be kept from falling into the wrong hands,
perhaps I ought to start using Windows on an Intel processor...you
know...for the safety of the nation, and the world!

Oh yeah. I wonder why they sell it in the first place, if they are so afraid
of what it can do in the wrong hands.
Oh wait - there is an arms market as well. I must have forgotten, the logic
is the same.

Clunky, underpowered computers for the masses, I say! Let's make the world a
safer place!

Let us all return to the stone age. Better still, let us all become extinct.
Oh, comets of the Universe, come here...

:-)

Pedro <== running to laugh about this "disclaimer-like-license" with the
buddies.