 Off-Topic / Geek / 3312
Re: Be afraid...be VERY afraid...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 05:39:46 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Richard Marchetti writes:
The only operating system I have heard of NOT crashing is a Unix/Linux
install if it's done right. Does the new MAC not crash? If the new MAC
crashes, this thread is the usual boring Guy Kawasaki zombie crap.  There
are trade offs with everything -- everyone has windows and windows sucks,
macintosh is less popular and also has problems.  When buying a machine for
the home, I have never been persuaded that MAC was somehow THAT great a deal
-- certainly not price-wise.  And the Macintosh has all kinds of hardware
limitations which is actually why their stuff is somewhat more crash-proof
than windows.  And I say somewhat, because every MAC user I know has
actually switched to Windows with the exception of one fellow -- I guess
everyone else thought the price tag was just not worth it knowing that their
MACs also crash.

I frankly look forward to a day, that may not be far off, when Unix/Linux is
ready for the desktop and is well supported with software of all kinds. It
might not quite reach the level of "peace, love, and linux" -- but the
unix/linux mix is where it's at. And being a MAC zombie is somehow WAY less
amusing than being a Lego zombie -- although I personally remain aloof in
both cases.

Umm...O.K.? I guess? Err...huh?

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Matthew Gerber writes:

Mac OS 9.2.1 Update-US - Export Compliance Agreement

<snip legal kerfluffage>

This is awesome. Kudos to Apple's marketing department. Now all the
downloaders get to feel all secret and stuff. Way cool.

That's about it, though. You can buy and export a lot more powerful gear
with no huhu.

But Matt, you're getting your money's worth as far as feeling good anyway.
And that's worth a lot. :-)

*GIGGLE*...you said kerfluffage...

(I searched, this is officially the first time "kerfluffage" has been used
on LUGNET...handshakes and backslaps all around...congrat's Larry!)

I don't know if this is where we are at (well, Hoppy might be there,
but...)...I really didn't post this to start a Mac/Win war...I try to avoid
them if I can...but the little geek voice in me said "Go on! Post it! It's
funny, AND you are actually poking fun at Apple...everyone will get that,
right?" Stupid little geek voice.

8?)

Matt