 Off-Topic / Geek / 3307
3306  |  3308
Subject:
Be afraid...be VERY afraid...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 20:59:49 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

OK...I admit it...I'm a Mac user, and damn proud of it. But today, I'm a
little scared. It seems that Macintosh computers are just to powerful!

Everyone remembers the "Supercomputer" commercials...the PowerMac runs
calculations at the same giga-flop rates as government supercomputers, but
they do it on the desktop. There was even a row about not allowing the
PowerMacG4 to be sold outside the US.

It seems that some of these fears were well founded. This is the agreement I
was required to agree to before downloading the most recent MacOS system
update from Apple's web site:

Mac OS 9.2.1 Update-US - Export Compliance Agreement

Select language, then agree to the terms to download:

You agree that you will not export or reexport any of the software or
confidential information received from Apple (i) into (or to a national or
resident of) Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, North Korea, Serbia, Sudan, Syria,
Taliban controlled Afghanistan, or any other country to which the U.S. has
embargoed goods; or (ii) to anyone on the U.S. Treasury Department's list of
Specially Designated Nationals and Blocked Persons, U.S. Commerce
Department's Table of Denial Orders and Entities List, or the U.S. State
Department's Debarred List. By downloading this software, you represent and
warrant that you are not located in, under the control of, or a national or
resident of any such country or on any such list. You also agree that you
will not use these products for any purposes prohibited by United States
law, including, without limitation, the development, design, manufacture or
production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons.

Check here to certify that you agree to comply with the Export Control
notice above.

I have never had to agree to terms like this for anything before.

Obviously, the Mac is the weapons designer's platform of choice. If the Mac
is so powerful that it must be kept from falling into the wrong hands,
perhaps I ought to start using Windows on an Intel processor...you
know...for the safety of the nation, and the world!

Clunky, underpowered computers for the masses, I say! Let's make the world a
safer place!

8?)

Matt