 Off-Topic / Geek / 3112
Re: recovering lost files
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 11:10:55 GMT

I'm happy to hear that you recovered them...:-)

Here are some advice:

** Make at least *two* *more* copies of any data you don't want to lost.
** Never Trust Floppies, they are volatile, literally.
** Make your HDD defargmented by using either Windows' own applet (Disk
Defragmenter) or a third party program (I suggest Norton Utilities Speed
Disk). This increases your chance of recovery of deleted files
incredibly.
** Be sure that your HDD in top condition (I mean logically) by running
a disk problem solver program (either Windows' own applet Scandisk, or a
third party program Like Norton Disk Doctor).
** Have a utility package (Norton Utilities or such). They are generally
great on recovering accidentally deleted files, and comparing with other
packages (like MS Office and such) very cheap.

Selçuk

Matthew Gerber wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Christopher Tracey writes:
Thanks Matt.... I owe you one...

I lost only about 10% of the total file set...  I guess because of
netscape caching pages and my searching for the files.  It took me a
while to figure out that I had lost them.  Luckily, I had just copied
some of the files from floppies (and then wiped the floppies :/ ) but I
ended up being able to recover part of the data from them.

My thesis is saved. :)

That's GREAT Chris! I'm happy I could help.

Matt