 Off-Topic / Geek / 2936
Re: Reasonable assignment for a third grader?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 16:13:09 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
My son had a similiar assignment (2nd or third grade - he's in fourth now),
but it wasn't *exactly* 100.

Just getting *over* 100 is quite easy, you just need words that have a
number of late alpahabet letters. Since R, S, and T are common letters and
are late in the alphabet you are all set. Like I said, ironically,
"alphabet" itself is 99... so alphabets is well over 100. (

Finally remembered the assignment: get as close as you can to 100 without
going over.  Only one word, but it had to at least be 90, so most kids
searched around a bit until they got one close, but it didn't drag on
forever.  Everyone compared their words in class (my son reported a couple
of kids found 100 exactly - I think my son's was 97-98).

I don't remember the exact parameters of the
assignment, but it wasn't something frustratingly difficult - finding exact
100 pt. words is going to be difficult for an adult.  It's a brute force
assignment.  If I find a question to be ridiculous, I usually note it on my
son's homework (not very often, but it does happen).

We're probably actually going to call the teacher. She is normally very very
good (Taya had her, we asked for her specifically for Nik) so I was
surprised by this assignment.

++Lar

I rather imagine that she'll modify the assigment for the future.

Bruce