 Off-Topic / Geek / 2931
Re: Reasonable assignment for a third grader?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 14:41:29 GMT

My son had a similiar assignment (2nd or third grade - he's in fourth now),
but it wasn't *exactly* 100.  I don't remember the exact parameters of the
assignment, but it wasn't something frustratingly difficult - finding exact
100 pt. words is going to be difficult for an adult.  It's a brute force
assignment.  If I find a question to be ridiculous, I usually note it on my
son's homework (not very often, but it does happen).

Bruce

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Larry Pieniazek writes:
My son came home with a homework assignment today that I think is a bit tough.

Here it is

If you assign the letters of the alphabet numeric values with 1 == a and 26
== z, find a word starting with each letter that sums to exactly 100. Or at
least find 5 different ones anyway, the assignment sheet isn't totally clear.

For example the value of "alphabet" is 1, 12, 16, 8, 1, 2, 5, 20 or 65
and the value of "argument" is 99

I set up a spreadsheet that aids in calculating these but it took me an hour
to find 2 with that aid. 4 words have been apparently circulating around the
schoolyard: turkey, pumpkin, keyboard, wednesday and we found the additional
ones mourns and acquitted.

I suspect the most effective way to solve this is brute force, write some
perl or C++ or whatever to calculate the values for words from a
dictionary... is that something a third grader should be able to do? He may
have had this for a few days already but even if handed out on Monday, I
think this is a lot of work to be due Thursday of the same week.

What do you guys think? Is this too hard for a third grader? (Nik doesn't
know perl...)

(If you think this veers off into the philosophy of schooling feel free to
FUT to .debate but right now I'm just interested in an evaluation of difficulty)

Please note that I am not asking anyone to contribute words, I don't believe
in using the internet to get homework done... besides he (sort of) has his 5
already.

++Lar