 Off-Topic / Geek / 2925
Re: Reasonable assignment for a third grader?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 10:40:19 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> writes:

If you assign the letters of the alphabet numeric values with 1 ==
a and 26 == z, find a word starting with each letter that sums to
exactly 100. Or at least find 5 different ones anyway, the
assignment sheet isn't totally clear.

It certainly takes a lot of trial and error to come up with a word
which sums to 100 exactly.  So to find one word at 100 starting with
each letter from the alphabet could easily take a few days if you're
not using any computer tools.

The person who gave the assignment can not possibly have though over
how much work this is.  That's my opinion!

This assignment would have made sense if it was a computer science
exercise for students of age 13 or more, I would say.

Fredrik