 Off-Topic / Geek / 2445
Re: broadband finally comes to my part of Knoxville
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2000 19:38:43 GMT

On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 07:32:27PM +0000, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
the only thing we use (though I do like ZA) is a linux firewall, that does
the NAT for us as well...

Do you use that as your router too?

well, only as a router between our home network and the "DSL-network".  I
have an external "DSL-modem" which does the actual routing, but it's
connected to one interface on the firewall (486/25, 8MB ram), while the
other interface is connected to a couple of hubs.

Is there a ready to read guide for the not very network technical on how to
set up an older/cheaper box with Linux for the express purpose of being on
24/7 (in my case it would be in the basement where my network patch panel
is), being a firewall, and doing the other stuff to translate from an ADSL
or broadband connection point (cable modem or whatever) (Not sure which I
will get yet, whoever gets here first)?

I found a very good package for Redhat, which gives you a pretty good setup
- it dials up for you (including authuntication over the dsl), and sets up
a standard-ish firewall rules and NATing.  You can later manually edit the
scripts, of course, to do whatever else you need...  like allow incoming
ssh connections, or whatever.

Or is the way Mike went less hassle, just buy a router?

Less hassle?  could be - I never used such a product.  but it sure is less
configurable...  'sides, we had the 486 not doing anything anyway :)

What's a good newsgroup to read about this stuff?

heh, good questions - no idea though.

--
Dan Boger / dan@peeron.com / www.peeron.com / ICQ: 1130750
<set:3923_1>:  King Leo Key Chain (LEGO/Accessories/Keychains), '00, 1 pcs