 Off-Topic / Geek / 2471
Re: broadband finally comes to my part of Knoxville
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sun, 3 Dec 2000 06:04:24 GMT

On Sun, Dec 03, 2000 at 04:03:47AM +0000, Paul Foster wrote:

So what is the advantage to the router versus just putting a $90
ethernet switch on your broadband output device??

well, a switch won't do dhcp serving, or authunticate you to your provider,
or do NATing, firewall, etc...

--
Dan Boger / dan@peeron.com / www.peeron.com / ICQ: 1130750
<set:6617_1>:  Tough Truck Rally (LEGO/SYSTEM/Town/Race), '00, 376 pcs, 4 figs