 Off-Topic / Geek / 2462
Re: broadband finally comes to my part of Knoxville
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 2000 01:17:43 GMT

Or is the way Mike went less hassle, just buy a router?

The way I did it was definitely less hassle.  $179 at Staples - plug it in
and 10 seconds to "configure" it.

Sure, I could have slapped a couple of NICs in a machine (in fact my main
Win2k dual 566 *has* two Intel Pro 10/100 NICs and used to run Proxy Server)
and run some flavor of proxy/nat software.  I could have even used an old
machine with nothing more than a floppy drive and a couple of NICs and one
of the few router-on-a-floppy packages.

I could have done all that, but I already have 5 machines in active use - I
don't need another one.  Heck, I'm giving another one away just to *not*
have more than 5.  :)

I do this sort of thing for a living at work and I get paid a bunch of money
to do it for my clients privately.  So doing it for the geek factor really
wouldn't do much for me.  I went for convenience, ease of setup, and simplicity.

I'd recommend you do the same.  :)

What's a good newsgroup to read about this stuff?

Dunno.  I monitored the message boards at dslreports.com for a couple of
weeks to check on peoples' opinions of various devices.  I also have two
friends who use the Linksys 4-port router I bought - they're both geeks as
well, and they've been happy with it.