 Off-Topic / Geek / 2436
  broadband finally comes to my part of Knoxville

Took it long enough, but as of day before yesterday I actually have ADSL. Getting pretty good speeds, probably because I'm a little more than a stone's throw from the phone company's remote DSLAM. Kinda cool browsing the web at home and having pages (...) (24 years ago, 30-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: broadband finally comes to my part of Knoxville

(...) the only thing we use (though I do like ZA) is a linux firewall, that does the NAT for us as well... (24 years ago, 30-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: broadband finally comes to my part of Knoxville

(...) Do you use that as your router too? Is there a ready to read guide for the not very network technical on how to set up an older/cheaper box with Linux for the express purpose of being on 24/7 (in my case it would be in the basement where my (...) (24 years ago, 1-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: broadband finally comes to my part of Knoxville

(...) well, only as a router between our home network and the "DSL-network". I have an external "DSL-modem" which does the actual routing, but it's connected to one interface on the firewall (486/25, 8MB ram), while the other interface is connected (...) (24 years ago, 1-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: broadband finally comes to my part of Knoxville

(...) don't know about dan, but i do. ;) mine is a 486 with a floppy drive and two nic cards (one from the cable modem, one to feed into the hub). (...) there are plenty. :) check out (URL) and (URL) (the one i use). (...) i found it easier to go (...) (24 years ago, 2-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: broadband finally comes to my part of Knoxville

(...) I have a cable modem and hung a NetGear FS105 5 port switch off the cable modem and hooked up the kids computer and my computer off the switch, no configuration changes to Windows after adding the switch. I am also using Zone Alarm on both (...) (24 years ago, 2-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: broadband finally comes to my part of Knoxville

(...) The way I did it was definitely less hassle. $179 at Staples - plug it in and 10 seconds to "configure" it. Sure, I could have slapped a couple of NICs in a machine (in fact my main Win2k dual 566 *has* two Intel Pro 10/100 NICs and used to (...) (24 years ago, 2-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: broadband finally comes to my part of Knoxville

(...) (2 URLs) The easiest way to go is to get one of the prebuilt disk images from the Steinkuehler site -- just put it in, boot up, configure a few things via the menu-based interface, and go. (...) Well, to be honest, those little boxes are (...) (24 years ago, 2-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: broadband finally comes to my part of Knoxville

So what is the advantage to the router versus just putting a $90 ethernet switch on your broadband output device?? Paul (...) (24 years ago, 3-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: broadband finally comes to my part of Knoxville

(...) well, a switch won't do dhcp serving, or authunticate you to your provider, or do NATing, firewall, etc... (24 years ago, 3-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)