 Off-Topic / Geek / 176
Re: Fun with JAVA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 15:40:19 GMT

Jasper Janssen wrote in message <377cbc95.9819689@lugnet.com>...
On Tue, 22 Jun 1999 18:43:53 GMT, Sproaticus <jsproat@geocities.com>
wrote:

I keep Java turned on, Javascript turned off.

Java crashes Nutscrape. Javascript doesn't.

And this is why I keep Javascript turned off.  It has forever had this
feature, to send mail without your permission.

In my client, all it can do is open a mailto: window, or send an email
with the contents of a form _after_ you click a button, IIRC.
That reminds me, I once heard it was possible for javascript
to file out a filename in the file area of the form(maybe with
C:\windows\cookies)
(In a hidden window , of course). The it can press submit on that.

Java on the browser (2), OTOH, runs in a "sandbox", part of its security
model.  It can't do most things unless you explicitly give it permission • to
do so.

Except crashing the computer.

Jasper