 Off-Topic / Geek / 138
Re: Fun with JAVA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 18:43:53 GMT

"Fredrik Glöckner" wrote:
cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com (Mike Stanley) writes:
It makes the browser window go bezerk and start shaking all over the
screen.
Yup, the future doesn't look too bright.  It's a really bad thing to
allow the script language to control the geometry of the client window.
I'll be keeping Java turned off for the near future, I think.

Nononononononono --- it's Javascript that does that (1).  Last time I
checked, Java doesn't have any control over the browser's window geometry.

I keep Java turned on, Javascript turned off.

By the way, anybody remember the cool undocumented feature in an early
Netscape 2.0 release?  (Or was it 1.1?)  Oh, well, one could employ a
"sendmail" tag, which simply made the client send a mail to some given
address, with the user's address as recipient.  Now, imagine how easy it
would be to gather mail addresses for spammers if this feature was
retained!

And this is why I keep Javascript turned off.  It has forever had this
feature, to send mail without your permission.

Java on the browser (2), OTOH, runs in a "sandbox", part of its security
model.  It can't do most things unless you explicitly give it permission to
do so.

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  I would like to wring the neck of the Netscape employee who thought it
would be cool to name Javascript Javascript.  Marketing -- ugh!  It has
absolutely nothing to do with Java.  ...But then, neither does Java, but at
least Sun came up with the naming idea first.

2.  On the browser there's the security model.  Java run from the
command-line behaves like any other application would.

Darth Maul Is Watching You