 Off-Topic / Geek / 1709
  Newbie Linux Questions

Hi: I finally broke down and installed RedHat Linux on a spare HD on my PIII system (goodbye Bill!). My only previous experiance with Unix was when I was forced to be the system administrator for an HP-UX system running seriously mission critical (...) (24 years ago, 31-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Newbie Linux Questions

(...) i'm not sure, but you could check your entries in /proc/ioports, /proc/interrupts and or /proc/pci, and see if you find your modem in there. :) (...) DON'T ASK. :) seriously, try them both, check out what apps on both and what interface is (...) (24 years ago, 31-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Newbie Linux Questions

(...) I think that you'll probably need to recompile your kernel to add support for higher com ports. But, since it's PnP, if the card is supported in Linux, Linux should theoretically be able to reconfigure it (...) No consensus. They're both not (...) (24 years ago, 31-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Newbie Linux Questions

(...) See the Serial HOWTO for setting up serial ports. You should do this in your boot process. I use Slackware and the setup scripts are in /etc/rc.d but Redhat is different. You'll want to run setserial in your boot process. Lots of examples are (...) (24 years ago, 3-Jun-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Newbie Linux Questions

Kevin, Matt, Tom: Thanks for your help with my Linux questions. It turns out that my modem is not supported under Linux because it is a PCI card. So an ISA or external modem 'upgrade' is in the works. Once I switch over I imagine installation should (...) (24 years ago, 3-Jun-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Newbie Linux Questions

(...) Are you positive that it's not a winmodem? There's no particular reason why a PCI "real" modem wouldn't work. (...) :) (24 years ago, 3-Jun-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Newbie Linux Questions

(...) Yeah. It is a USR 56K Faxmodem (cost almost twice as much as the USR 56K Winmodem) and dosent require Win to operate. But the RH compatability stated that PCI modems were not supported under RH 6.2. However based on your information I will try (...) (24 years ago, 3-Jun-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Newbie Linux Questions

(...) Full disclosure: I have heard anecdotally that PCI modems can work, and it certainly seems logical. However, I don't have any experience with them myself. (24 years ago, 3-Jun-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)