 Off-Topic / Geek / 1711
Re: Newbie Linux Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 31 May 2000 12:37:46 GMT

Jim Hughes <hughesj@one.net> wrote:
1. My Modem (a real modem, not a Winmodem!) is PnP configured
for Win98 on Com5. Is there an equivalent to Com5 in Linux or do
I need to reinstall it in Win98 using Com3 or 4?

I think that you'll probably need to recompile your kernel to add support
for higher com ports. But, since it's PnP, if the card is supported in
Linux, Linux should theoretically be able to reconfigure it

2. RH automatically installed Gnome. What is the general consensus
about Gnome vs. KDE?

No consensus. They're both not done yet. :) The KDE that comes with RH is a
little further along than the version of Gnome they give you, but not
significantly so. There's a new version of Gnome out, which is supposed to
be much improved, and ditto for a new version of KDE due out RSN.

3. From this simple workstation install to an Apache Server is how
far a jump?

Really easy. Just install the RPMs.

Quotes 'R' Us                     --->               http://quotes-r-us.org/
Boston University Linux             --->                http://linux.bu.edu/