 Off-Topic / Geek / 1710
Re: Newbie Linux Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 31 May 2000 04:34:25 GMT

On Wed, 31 May 2000 03:57:07 GMT, Jim Hughes <hughesj@one.net> wrote:
1. My Modem (a real modem, not a Winmodem!) is PnP configured
for Win98 on Com5. Is there an equivalent to Com5 in Linux or do
I need to reinstall it in Win98 using Com3 or 4?

i'm not sure, but you could check your entries in /proc/ioports,
/proc/interrupts and or /proc/pci, and see if you find your modem
in there.  :)

2. RH automatically installed Gnome. What is the general consensus
about Gnome vs. KDE?

DON'T ASK.  :)  seriously, try them both, check out what apps on both
and what interface is more suited to you, and make your own decision.
you don't want to start up a debate on this, they always end up in
horrible flame-fests.  personally, i don't use either .. but they both
have good points.

3. From this simple workstation install to an Apache Server is how
far a jump?

a bit of reading (not _necessary_, but you'll really want to do it,
especially if you end up getting broken into or make some newbie
mistakes configuring it), and an 'rpm -Uhv apache-whateverversion.rpm'
and you're there.  well, half way, you probably want to make some
config changes, but if you're willing to do the reading, it's simple.

good luck with it, and if you need any more help i'm sure you can find
it here or elsewhere on the internet pretty easily.

--
[Science is] practical philosophy.
Rene Descartes (1596-1650)