 Off-Topic / Geek / 1709
1708  |  1710
Subject:
Newbie Linux Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 31 May 2000 03:57:07 GMT

Hi:

I finally broke down and installed RedHat Linux on a spare HD on
my PIII system (goodbye Bill!). My only previous experiance with
Unix was when I was forced to be the system administrator for an
HP-UX system running seriously mission critical applications at
work (and those 6 months wholly redefined work related stress for me). So I
know enough UNIX not to do stupid things but not enough to do
useful things yet.

Anyway I have several 'newbie' questions for you linux experts.

1. My Modem (a real modem, not a Winmodem!) is PnP configured
for Win98 on Com5. Is there an equivalent to Com5 in Linux or do
I need to reinstall it in Win98 using Com3 or 4?

2. RH automatically installed Gnome. What is the general consensus
about Gnome vs. KDE?

3. From this simple workstation install to an Apache Server is how
far a jump?

And a general observation. It took 45 mins from opening the box to
having a functioning install of RH Linux (this included even reading some
of the installation manual). It took exactly 3 days to get a functioning
install of Win98.

Jim