 Off-Topic / Geek / 1295
Re: What makes an acronym (was: Re: quick question)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 14:43:43 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, Todd Lehman writes:
Just a friendly nit to pick...  :)

Acronyms don't actually have to be words which come from only single letters
(such as scuba = _s_elf _c_ontained _u_nderwater _b_reating _a_pparatus), but
can actually pull multiple letters from words.

Thus, both BayLTC and BayLUG actually -are- true acronyms -- as are WAMALUG
(_Wa_shington _M_etro _A_rea _L_EGO _U_sers _Group), LUGNET (_L_EGO _U_sers
_G_roup _Net_work), LEGO (_Le_g _Go_dt), Nabisco (_N_orth _A_merican _Bis_cuit
_Co_mpany), Necco (_N_ew _E_ngland _C_onfectionary _Co_mpany), and MAVICA
(_Ma_gnetic _Vi_deo _Ca_mera).

Don't forget Pokemon (PO_c_KE_t MON_ster) :)

<ducks>

seriously, though... lots of things that we encounter every day are acronyms,
even if their original meaning has been forgotten by most people... two
examples I can think of off the top of my head are LASER (L_ight A_mplification
by S_timulated E_mission of R_adiation), and (Todd, your reference to Mavica
reminded me of this) Karaoke... perhaps the strangest acronym I've ever
encountered, crossing not only two languages, but two writing systems! :)

Kara (Japanese character meaning "empty") - O_r_CHE_stra

--Karim