 Off-Topic / Geek / 1312
Re: What makes an acronym (was: Re: quick question)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 01:28:43 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, Tom McDonald writes:
[...] So I guess the club could either be correctly written as "BAyLUG",
capping the "A" to include the "Area" in "Bay Area"; "BayLUG", as in proper
noun; or "baylug", as in lowercase standard url.

Is it a always requirement of acronyms that they be written in all caps?

I think so, until they cross over into regular noun "worddom", cf. scuba,
radar. Words like "diesel" or "ohm" are no longer capped when impersonally
used. Much in the same way, I've noticed that many hyphenated terms gradually
lose their hyphens upon acceptance. Anyone remember "micro-computer"? :)

It's interesting about the "y" thing! -- the only way to get BayLUG to be an
actual acronym is to pull the "y" from "Bay", thus also pulling the "a" from
"Bay" and skipping over the "A" from "Area".  :)

I think the name visually stands out more either as "bayLUG" or "BayLUG", as
the "Y" drops its tail down below the line. Mike Poindexter designed BayLTC's
logo with a "Y" like that, which effectively made it's own underscore.

-Tom McD.
when replying, many stuntmen are now realizing the danger of spamcake bullets.