Re: quick question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 07:29:14 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, Mike Poindexter writes:
In lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, Michael Kay writes:
This did not dawn on me until after the train meeting on sunday.....
We decided that the name for the train club would be BAYLTC, right?

Yes. Sort of. Mostly. Read on.

Does the BAY part stand for anything in particular or just or just • generically
"bay".  For some reason i thought it stood for: Bay Area (something with "Y")
Lego Train Club.  If nothing starts with Y then would it be BALUG (which • kinda
sounds like a sheep).  I think something that specifically told of our • location
might be nice....Just a suggestion....i'd like to see what you guys think....

BayLTC or bayLTC is to be thought of as Bay Area Lego Train Club, but that's
technically not a true acronym. But BayLUG itself is not 100% acronym either,
but it wasn't quite supposed to be. The object was to have a club name people
would remember that would still be accurate for what we were. IMO, it means
just "Bay" as in "we're near the bay". So in that sense, it does denote
location, and rather well I might add.[1] It was also proposed to name the
group sfbaylug, but some thought it unnecessary.

Well, one thing I like is the immediate tie-in with LUGs and LTCs.  I think
that the LTC is pretty much standardized, as is LUG, so having the same root
would make sense.

It also shows a sense of community amongst AFOLs everywhere.

BALUG would be the Lego Users' Group, anyway.  Bay Area Fans Of Lego would
have worked, too.  BAFOL sounds like baffle, which some people are at our
obsession.

I think that the full name makes sense and the initials are kind of hard to
work into a word with the LTC letters.

When BayLUG was first thought of, it became apparent that phonetics would play
a large part in how folks would remember the url. As you have figured out,
BALUG could be pronounced "bah-lug" or "bay-lug". But with the added Y, it was
intuitive, and the first syllable actually spelled a word (which makes for the
best urls). And since BayLTC has been spawned from BayLUG, it makes sense that
they match to avoid confusion, as BALUG is a Linux users' group, as Zonker has
indicated on BayLUG's home page. Thus the url "balug.org" was already taken,
and we had already decided that our url should be the name of the club to
avoid as much confusion as possible.

-Tom McD.
when replying, the lyrics "Spam-a-lama-ding-dong" can be found in a few 1950's
tunes.

[1] Though of course, anyone living near some other bay could also use the
same reasoning (i.e. Green Bay, Wisconsin)