 Off-Topic / Pun / 486
Re: What makes an acronym (was: Re: quick question)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.pun
Date:
Sat, 18 Mar 2000 22:38:43 GMT

Jeff Stembel wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Tom McDonald wrote:

I think so, until they cross over into regular noun "worddom", cf. scuba,
radar. Words like "diesel" or "ohm" are no longer capped when impersonally
used. Much in the same way, I've noticed that many hyphenated terms
gradually lose their hyphens upon acceptance. Anyone remember
"micro-computer"? :)

Neither diesel nor ohm are acronyms. Both are words formed from the
inventor's or discoverer's name. So while an interesting point, it's not
germane.

Ouch, I didn't even see that till you pointed it out. Am I good or what?

Good thing I already have my shillelagh(1) out...  *whap!*  Bad Pun!!

:)

Jeff
[FUPs to .o-t.pun]

1 - check offtopic.fun