 Off-Topic / Geek / 1241
  Re: Switch from Gnome to KDE - Turbolinux 6

(...) [scheme snipped] Yes, you will run into problems that way. Lilo can only boot kernels in the first 1024 cylinders of a drive. (This is the BIOS's fault, not Lilo's.) On most IDE drives, that's around 500MB. I usually set up workstations like (...) (24 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Switch from Gnome to KDE - Turbolinux 6

(...) Hrmmm.... not sure how much 1024 cylinders would be on this drive. Gotta be more than 500mb, though, because the initial primary partition that Windows ME is living on is a gig. I guess I could have multiple tiny /boot partitions for each (...) (24 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Switch from Gnome to KDE - Turbolinux 6

(...) errr... just curious (since I know nothing about turbo-linux) - doesn't it run stock kernels? or does it come with several precompiled (like redhat shipping with an smp and a non smp one)? :) Dan (24 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Switch from Gnome to KDE - Turbolinux 6

(...) I'm not sure how MSWin deals with this.... not my field. :) But a key point in the linux world is: the bit that as to be within the first 1024 cylinders is the beginning of the kernel. That means that if your kernel is on a partition that (...) (24 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Switch from Gnome to KDE - Turbolinux 6

(...) I assume it comes with several precompiled since it gave me choices including i386, i586, i686, with both single processor and SMP. I know it is booting an i686 SMP kernel now. (24 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Switch from Gnome to KDE - Turbolinux 6

(...) Hrmmm... (...) Yeah, I hadn't ever installed RH (and Mandrake won't install here) on a dual processor system, so I didn't get to see it pick. My buddies and I are looking to colocate a custom box we're going to build at a local ISP. Mainly (...) (24 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Switch from Gnome to KDE - Turbolinux 6

(...) I really like Red Hat, largely because they're extremely good about putting out quick security fixes. (Debian is really good at this too.) And they're generally a well put-together, solid system. I'm running Mandrake on my desktop right now, (...) (24 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)