 Off-Topic / Geek / *140 (-20)
  Re: What happened?

(...) Don't answer specifically until and unless you are about to get a job offer from a specific firm. Do your research about what you are worth, then answer the "what do you make" question from a headhunter with "well below market, which is 90K (...) (25 years ago, 22-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  regular expressions for DAT file subpart lines

Hey Perl fans, What's your favorite regular expression for a subpart line (or any other line, for that matter) in an LDraw DAT file? Here's my entry; $linein is a single line from the DAT file, may or may not be padded with whitespace at the (...) (25 years ago, 22-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Fun with JAVA

(...) Nononononononono --- it's Javascript that does that (1). Last time I checked, Java doesn't have any control over the browser's window geometry. I keep Java turned on, Javascript turned off. (...) And this is why I keep Javascript turned off. (...) (25 years ago, 22-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Fun with JAVA

(...) Yup, the future doesn't look too bright. It's a really bad thing to allow the script language to control the geometry of the client window. I'll be keeping Java turned off for the near future, I think. By the way, anybody remember the cool (...) (25 years ago, 22-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Fun with JAVA

(...) lol It certainly is one way to get someone's attention - too bad I couldn't read it. It needs to shut off after a few seconds and it would be better. Out here in California I thought it was a tumbler rumbling through my ISP.. -Tom McD. when (...) (25 years ago, 22-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: What happened?

(...) Tell them what you're worth (and why) and what range you're willing to accept, but not what you currently make. What you currently make is largely irrelevant anyway during the headhunting phase, especially if you are moving from MS to NJ, (...) (25 years ago, 22-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Fun with JAVA

(...) It makes the browser window go bezerk and start shaking all over the screen. I almost threw up. (25 years ago, 22-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: What happened?

(...) Either tell them the truth or don't tell them anything. I'm in the same boat, and if internal mobility doesn't present itself soon, I'll be revamping the resume and starting the same process. (25 years ago, 22-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: What happened?

(...) Hmm. Tell them the truth? Or at least tell them what you'd like to be making. Steve (25 years ago, 21-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Fun with JAVA

(...) perhaps nice, but it also presents an enormous security issue. Can you give a description of what it does before I turn my browser into a security hole? Cheers, - jsproat (25 years ago, 21-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: What happened?

(...) I'm in the process of finding a new employer now, and I'm using recruiters (headhunters) for the first time. What am I supposed to answer when they ask what I make? I'd rather not tell them, but I also don't want them to fail to pass on my (...) (25 years ago, 21-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: X-Face: usage?

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999 22:54:37 GMT, Jasper Janssen uttered the following profundities... (...) Its the whatever part.... part that seems most likely. Thanks, I don't know if I would *want* my software to support it! (25 years ago, 20-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: What happened?

On Sat, 19 Jun 1999 12:34:44 GMT, Larry Pieniazek uttered the following profundities... (...) I wasn't expecting an answer! However, good luck! It must be quite exciting to be part of a small, up-and-coming firm. I imagine, being a part of (...) (25 years ago, 20-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Perl rules!

Todd Lehman wrote in message ... (...) functions, (...) regular (...) level" (...) I've always had a sport in my heart for SNOBOL which had an eval function to evaluate an expression, and a compile function if you needed real code. I used the (...) (25 years ago, 20-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Perl rules!

(...) I didn't mean to say that it was necessary for a language to be "high level" but it certainly is a common property of high-level langauges (for example Lisp/Scheme, Logo, PostScript*, and Perl). (...) It certainly has a variety of mis-uses, (...) (25 years ago, 19-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Perl rules!

Good post! (...) I agree with most all you say, but I am surprised that you consider this: in-memory compilation of arbitrary code constructed on-the-fly, necessary for a language to be "high level". I rather consider it a potential pitfall for the (...) (25 years ago, 19-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: What happened?

(...) Enough to make me quite happy. For whatever reason, in the US, it's rude to ask specific details, and it would not be prudent for me to answer publicly in more detail. Why salaries and comp are closely guarded may be an interesting .debate (...) (25 years ago, 19-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Fun with JAVA

Make sure JAVA-script is turned on and look at (URL) (25 years ago, 19-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Perl rules!

(...) Amen to that. Perl is the first general-purpose programming language I've ever used* which hasn't yet made me mad at it because it couldn't do something in a clean and straightforward way. It's amazing: I just never get mad at Perl. Instead, (...) (25 years ago, 19-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: What happened?

Once upon a time, (on Thu, 17 Jun 1999 17:52:22 GMT, to be precise!), Larry Pieniazek uttered the following profundities.... (...) Ah ha. Hmmmm. How much %age of the company were you offered? (25 years ago, 19-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact