 Off-Topic / Fun / 8573
  Re: Saw the movie today! (bit OT)

I fully agree that lending aspects from other litriture or sources is valid and can lead to greater creativity and fantastic works. Shakespear's plays were nearly all reworkings of existing stories, Tolkiens LotR contains many aspects and concepts (...) (23 years ago, 5-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Saw the movie today! (bit OT)

(...) So, any time four characters unite against a powerful enemy, it's derivative of Tolkien? (...) So, any time an old character has a pre-story history with the enemy, it's derivative of Tolkien? And I would point out that Gandalf isn't (...) (23 years ago, 5-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Saw the movie today! (bit OT)

(...) This only helps to reinforce my assertation that LotR is basically Star Wars with the serial numbers filed off. Cheers, - jsproat (23 years ago, 5-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Saw the movie today! (bit OT)

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Dave Schuler writes: My point is that, if you use selective observation as you have done, it's (...) ??? Really? Please prove and do this for Monty Python's Holy Grail and The Matrix... :-) John (23 years ago, 5-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Saw the movie today! (bit OT)

Ah yes cool I'd forgotten those. I'll add them to the list :) (by the way the list in the last posting was a JOKE) :P -- James Stacey ---...--- www.minifig.co.uk #925 - I'm a citizen of Legoland travelling Incommunicado "Dave Schuler" (...) (23 years ago, 6-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  LoTR v. Harry Potter

(...) snip and James goes on to give several other striking similarities. I am 30 years old, and I have read the Hobbit, LoTR, and most all of JRR Tolkien's other related works, as well as most of Christopher Tolkien's scholarship on his father's (...) (23 years ago, 7-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: LoTR v. Harry Potter

(...) **snip of some discussion of theme archetypes** The central issue is originality and cleverness of presentation. To this end, I would say Rowling has definitely achieved originality of the whole if not of the parts, and that's really all an (...) (23 years ago, 7-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: LoTR v. Harry Potter

(...) I am not really taking issue with the above statement, but it reminded me of a great essay in cultural anthropology: "Shakespeare in the Bush" (URL) surprised to find it online and for FREE! I love that essay... -- Hop-Frog (23 years ago, 7-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: LoTR v. Harry Potter

(...) I stand by my characterization. Did you happen to walk around on Halloween night? There were LEGIONS of kids wearing wizard costumes. The story has struck a chord with the children of the world to such an amazing extent that they are actually (...) (23 years ago, 8-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: LoTR v. Harry Potter

(...) screens. Maybe, maybe not. Would these legions of consumers have been wearing HP costumes if the movie hadn't been at the crest of a marketing wave since early Spring? I doubt it, though we can never know for sure. In any case, you're (...) (23 years ago, 10-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: LoTR v. Harry Potter

(...) I had seen that Onion piece earlier, but it didn't really support my argument so I didn't deighn to mention it:) Maybe 10 years from now, Harry Potter will be long forgotten, and I will have egg on my face. Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, (...) (23 years ago, 10-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: LoTR v. Harry Potter

(...) Yeah, well, I'm STILL gonna go see The Lord of the Rings - I've been waiting (wait, I've run out of toes and fingers!) a long time for this. :-) Bruce (it's not like I haven't read it enough) (23 years ago, 10-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: LoTR v. Harry Potter

(...) Just read and enjoyed the essay. Now your assignment--right a fictional account of someone trying to explain the plot of LoTR to those tribal elders. :) Aaron D. (23 years ago, 10-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)