 Off-Topic / Fun / 7424
Re: Etymological Oddities (was Re: New Brickbay promotion)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 16:24:52 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

  Does anyone recall the furor over a politician using the
  term "niggardly" (or "niggling" for that matter) to refer
  to something small and of no consequence?  The etymology
  is *completely* different--no connection whatsoever with
  racially loaded terms--but that syllable was enough to
  set the fur a-flying for a week or so.  But because it
  was so obviously explainable no media outlets took it very
  seriously, even those that usually give Al Sharpton et al
  plenty of column inches.  All the more reason to get
  cracking on those vocabulary lessons.

I think it was taken fairly seriously--not as a veiled slur but as a
matter of public embarrassment resulting in an offer of resignation by the
"offending" party:

http://www.cnn.com/US/9902/04/dc.word.flap/index.html

Oh, duh!  That's the example I was thinking of.  ...niggardly, renege... *sigh*

Maggie C. (who would be living testament to the notion that the memory is the
first to go except that I've always been this way!  Oh, wait, I hope I'm not
offending anyone with my use of the word TESTAMENT!)