 Off-Topic / Debate / 10882
Re: New Brickbay promotion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 02:17:26 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Matthew Gerber writes:
In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Rich Manzo writes:
In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, William R. Ward writes:
That's spelled "gyp" and it's a racist term (short for Gypsy), which
you should probably refrain from using.

Are you sure about this? I have heard this term many times and always
assumed it was gipped. For example, this is how I usually hear the term: "I
was gipped (gyped) at the used car lot." I guess I see your point but I
think that this was just one term that was acclimated into the American
vocabulary.

He is correct. From Dictionary.com:

gyp also gip (jp) Slang
tr.v. gypped, also gipped gyp·ping, gip·ping gyps, gips

To deprive (another) of something by fraud; cheat or swindle.
n.
1. A fraud or swindle.
2. One who defrauds; a swindler.

Don't mind me, but isn't that what a Gypsy is?
Josh

P.S. Please don't think of me as a racist or something...

[Probably short for Gypsy.]
gypper n.

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth
Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

Matt (Self-Proclaimed LUGNET King of Citing Stuff ©)