 Off-Topic / Debate / 10865
10864  |  10866
Subject:
Etymological Oddities (was Re: New Brickbay promotion)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 14:30:06 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

  Does anyone recall the furor over a politician using the
  term "niggardly" (or "niggling" for that matter) to refer
  to something small and of no consequence?  The etymology
  is *completely* different--no connection whatsoever with
  racially loaded terms--but that syllable was enough to
  set the fur a-flying for a week or so.  But because it
  was so obviously explainable no media outlets took it very
  seriously, even those that usually give Al Sharpton et al
  plenty of column inches.  All the more reason to get
  cracking on those vocabulary lessons.

  I think it was taken fairly seriously--not as a veiled slur but as a
matter of public embarrassment resulting in an offer of resignation by the
"offending" party:

http://www.cnn.com/US/9902/04/dc.word.flap/index.html

  In any case, I'm offended by your invocation of Hitler in your use of the
term "furor."

  But then again, we went around this block about a year
  ago, didn't we? :)

  Nothing new under the sun (and we went around that block, too, come to
think of it!)

     Dave!