 Off-Topic / Debate / 10866
Re: Sanctions (was: Libertarian Propaganda)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 14:37:09 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Marc Nelson, Jr. writes:

So if trade is bad, then shouldn't the Iraqis be grateful that they are
sanctioned? Now they don't have to worry about American economic imperialists
exploiting their labor and natural resources. No greedy American business
ventures can make any economic gains by selling things to Iraq. Aren't they
better off?

Maybe I should explain the sanctions against Iraq better. It's not about
trade with America, it's not about business with America, it's about
starving and killing innocent men, women and children and destroying the
infrastructure of Iraq. The sanctions are a ban against any nation trading
or offering aid to Iraq. The sanctions are not particular to American trade
or business with Iraq. The sanctions prevent Iraq from obtaining essential
things from ANY nation-- items such as food, medicine, tires, machine parts
and tools. The Iraqi people IN NO WAY are better off with the sanctions.

So if a business, American or otherwise, trades with Iraq, selling food, tools,
whatever, and they make lots of money -- is that bad or good? Are they economic
imperialists? Are they exploiting the Iraqis? What about buying oil from Iraq?
Does that constitute exploitation of natural resources?

I am against economic sanctions myself. I think they usually hurt everybody
but the government of the offending nation, plus they provide an easy way for
cowardly politicians to "take action" without actually doing anything.

And I never said trade is bad.

You seem to think that any economic activity that results in profit is
unethical, exploitative, and greedy.

No I don't think of it that way. But greed IS unethical. Profit through
exploitation IS unethical. Does our country practice unethical business and
achieve economic success through exploitation--YES.

What exactly are you talking about when you say exploitation and unethical
business practices? Please give us some examples. I am trying to figure out
what you think good business practices are.

But then you acknowledge the benefits of
trade by accusing Bush of war crimes for not allowing it to take place.

Benefits of trade with whom? With us? No, Bush and Clinton are both
sons-of-whores for banning other nations from helping the Bosnians, even
supplying rifles so they could at least defend their homes (not that it
would make a  difference against mortars, artillery and helicopter
gunships). Those bastard's excuse: The Bosnians might turn on the Serbs and
it would lead to more bloodshed. Is that a green light for the Serbs or
what? And they took full advantage of it and murdered over 600,000 Bosnians.
They butchered, raped and massacred the Bosnians and we stood by. Imagine
someone attacks you and pulls a knife. There's a guy watching who also
carries a knife but says you can't use it, nor does he step in to help you.
We cannot pretend that we meant well. In my opinion, the case with Bosnia
reflects America's prejudice against Moslems. If anyones want to jump on
that, explain why Americans were so keen to help the people of Kosovo, who
had yet to endure what the Bosnians had endured?

The Albanians are 75% Muslim. Why did we bomb Serbia to help them out if
America hates Muslims so much? The real question is why are we involved in
Yugoslavia at all? What is our national interest?

It looks like the US is damned if we do and damned if we don't. What's the • deal?

Sorry if it comes off that way. But if leadership is truly corrupt, does it
not deserve damnation?

I guess everything the US does is wrong to you. I think you place too much
blame on the US government when the real cause of Iraq's problems is their own
government. You talk about Bush "murdering" Iraqis in a war (a war started by
Iraq), but they have been murdered by their own government for decades. Not
everything can be blamed on the Great Satan.

-Marc Nelson Jr.