 Off-Topic / Fun / 726
Re: Richard's obligatory, monthly, stupid question!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 04:47:25 GMT

Also sprach Richard Dee:
: That number, is it assigned in strict order of which messages
: are received, or does it know, for instance, if a particular
: message might be the 5th in reply to a thread, and number it
: accordingly? (I.e. leaves 4 numbers in front for the previous
: messages?? How else would a reader know how to thread them??

There are two things going on here, article numbers and message ID's ...
article numbers are unique to each news server, and are assigned as
articles are recieved, in ascending order, and have no relation to
threading at all.  Thus it does no ggod to refer to article numbers on
general USENET groups because a given article has thousands of different
article numbers, depending on which server you view it from.  LUGnet is
somewhat unique because it really isn't USENET: it uses nntp
functionality but its articles do not propogate to other news servers
and all of the users use the same server.  Thus, on LUGnet, article
numbers have some reference utility.  Elsewhere they are useless except
for internal purposes which are not obvious to the user.

Message ID's, OTOH, are universal.  The same article will have the same
message ID on every server.  (For the most part.  Some proxy setups tend
to munge these headers up pretty badly)  Every article also has a
articles in the thread.  This is how the newsreader threads the
articles, and also how it can place 'late' articles in the proper place
even after other replies have already shown up.

/ _ _ / _ _      "Do you have the fever for the flavor of the beaver?"
()(-(//((-/                                  -- overheard at Backstreet
============= Jim Baker -- Weather Weasel Extraordinaire ==============