 Off-Topic / Fun / 7030
Re: MOC 1966 Chevelle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 19:16:46 GMT

"J.D. Forinash" <foxtrot@cc.gatech.edu> wrote in message
news:9a24pt$u5j$1@anagram.bufordnet.foo...
<snip>
[*] For those of you in metric-speaking countries, fuel economy is • backward
in the US. Instead of speaking of how many liters it takes to drive 100
kilometers, we talk of how many miles (1.6ish kilometers) we get out of
a gallon (3.89 liters) of gas (petrol). So we think bigger numbers are
"better."
</snip>

Overhere we're pretty much metric (*), but we still do the same trick. It's
just kilometers per liter. My 1.4 Volvo is doing about 1:14 (winter). I'm
now moving up to a 2.3 Volvo btw. In car adds They're doing liters per
100km, but it simply hasn't really caught on.
Here's another measure: my dad used to count fuel (diesel) consumption on
his boat in liters per hour. One, usually... And that's at an average speed
of 7 knots, which is 7 nautical miles per hour, a nautical mile being 1.8ish
kilometer, and blahblahblah

(*) I lived in Ireland for a while which is sort of strange: they're half
way through their metrification. Road signs are in kilometers (except for
the white ones with brown digits and some others they've missed. The
giveaway is wether there's digits or fractions: 3 1/2 will be miles, 3.5
will be kilometers) and at a filling station you pay per liter. Still the
speedo in your car and the speed-limit signs are miles, and everyone still
talks miles per gallon....

Duq