 Off-Topic / Fun / 6760
    Re: subway info? —Frank Filz
   (...) Having learned to drive in Lexington, I've got some good Boston driving skills. I used to study "The Boston Driver's Handbook" for ideas :-) (well, not really, but I did actually once perform one of the advanced maneuvers - said maneuver being (...) (23 years ago, 2-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

        Re: subway info? —Eric Kingsley
     (...) You only did that once? Wimp :-) Besides there is a reason we drive like we do here. If you didn't drive that way you would never get anywhere. Many turns in the city are blind and in the suburbs there is so much traffic that if you don't (...) (23 years ago, 2-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

         Re: subway info? —Matt Brooks
       I'm so glad I live here in Northern California where driving is of two types: 1) Parked on US 101. 2) Racing madly through San Francisco, down 1 way streets (usually the worng way) searching for the last parking spot in the city. Never mind the (...) (23 years ago, 2-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

         Re: subway info? —Frank Filz
     (...) Oh, I've probably done it a few more times, but you have to realize that the vast bulk of my driving experience these days is not in Boston... (...) I always point out to non-Boston drivers that Boston driving shouldn't be characterized as (...) (23 years ago, 2-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

         Re: subway info? —Eric Joslin
     (...) That's exactly the way I describe it, too. eric (23 years ago, 2-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

        Re: subway info? —Larry Pieniazek
     (...) Those are easy, all it takes is some combination of faster reflexes and/or a bigger engine. I'm referring to the kind where you are in essentially stopped traffic and you get to a point where someone will have to give. I'm a big fan of (...) (23 years ago, 2-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

        Re: subway info? —Eric Joslin
   (...) There's still a rotary near there, it's over the bridge and past the Fresh Pond stuff. Route 2 doesn't end there, though, it goes all the way in to Cambridge. Always has, as far as I know. It just ceases to be a highway-type thing there, and (...) (23 years ago, 2-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

        Re: subway info? —Larry Pieniazek
     (...) Without a lot of warning or signs to help you find your way when it changes direction at traffic lights and such, which it does a fair bit IIRC. One of the cardinal principles of Northeast driving (it's not confined to just the Boston area, (...) (23 years ago, 2-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

        Re: subway info? —Frank Filz
   (...) True. I generally tend to think of it as ending there. I used to hate that next rotrary though. My summer job after graduating high school was at an office above the Fresh Pond shopping center, and you had to use that rotary to u-turn, problem (...) (23 years ago, 2-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)