 Off-Topic / Fun / 6766
Re: subway info?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 20:31:22 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Frank Filz writes:
Lar said:
I haven't met a Boston driver I couldn't beat through a squeezedown (think
the merges on old I 93 coming into downtown, or the merge shuffle to get to
the callahan right after you cross the Charles) through sheer power of
intimidation (and the knowledge that I was in a rental and thus had nothing
to lose), even during the height of rush, when I needed to, so you may not
be all THAT great.

I've got a fun anecdote there. One time a bunch of us from RPI were
going to Boskone (SF convention which used to be held in Boston), partly
because I had a remote idea of where we were going I was driving. As I
pulled out from a light, I heard a loud gasp from beside me. I asked,
"what's wrong" and the owner of the minivan we were using who was
sitting in the back seat on the right [who hadn't gasped, it was the
person riding shotgun who gasped] calmly stated that I had just bested a
cab in a squeezedown [Boston is famous for squeezedowns at lights]).

Those are easy, all it takes is some combination of faster reflexes and/or a
bigger engine. I'm referring to the kind where you are in essentially
stopped traffic and you get to a point where someone will have to give. I'm
a big fan of zippering, where each side takes turns. But if someone tries to
deny me my zipper turn, I never lose. Not yet anyway.

++Lar