 Off-Topic / Fun / 6771
Re: subway info?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 21:51:55 GMT

Lorbaat wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Frank Filz writes:

Another time I got a bit of a hint of how different driving is in Boston
and other places was when I was driving a friend from Bolton into
Boston. We were going in on Route 2, which used to end in a rotary. He
commented that he wouldn't have had the guts to sail through that rotary
as part of two lanes of traffic at 45mph. There isn't a rotary there
anymore, when they put in the Alewife station at the end of the Red
Line, they turned it into a 3-way intersection with lights, though when
the Route 2 traffic has the green, I think it still can sail through at
45mph.

There's still a rotary near there, it's over the bridge and past the Fresh
Pond stuff.  Route 2 doesn't end there, though, it goes all the way in to
Cambridge.  Always has, as far as I know.  It just ceases to be a highway-type
thing there, and becomes a street with lights and intersections (and
rotaries).

True. I generally tend to think of it as ending there. I used to hate
that next rotrary though. My summer job after graduating high school was
at an office above the Fresh Pond shopping center, and you had to use
that rotary to u-turn, problem was the traffic following route 2 through
that rotary was just as thick and steady.

I did used to comment that I did all my gaming at one end of route 2 or
the other (route 2 continues into New York and ends in Troy, just a few
blocks south of the RPI campus, and MIT is effectively at the other end
of route 2).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com