 Off-Topic / Fun / 6058
Re: Want my car? I want your LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2000 05:54:13 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Geoffrey Hyde writes:

Larry Pieniazek <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message

BTW, Chris, what would the postage to the UK on this gem be?  :-) Just in
case.

I'm pretty certain that Larry meant to type shipping and not postage.

No, I meant to type postage, inasmuch as I was trying to be silly. For a
vehicle of this age and condition, shipping to the UK via the cheapest
possible way would be a significant fraction of (or even MORE than) the
value of the car.  Much less postage assuming one even could, which one • can't.

  The cheapest way of shipping a car is by ship, as you might expect,
  and in fact it's more common than some might think.  However, for
  my car, I was quoted $1150 (I actually priced it, just to see), and
  it would arrive in six weeks' to two months' time.  After all, when
  cars are imported to the US, the shipping companies sometimes can
  easily carry other lots on the return trip to Europe--and at $1100+
  a car, it's a lot more than they get for hauling fresh vehicles
  from the factory (that bulk "destination" charge and all).

I have no idea of what it cost in 1972, but we did the reverse. We went to
Europe for a 5 or 6 week vacation. We took delivery of a VW Squareback at the
factory in Germany, drove it around Europe, and then shipped it to the US. I
think the end result was that we paid less than we would have paid to buy the
car off the VW lot in the US, and didn't have to pay for a rental car. There's
a real benefit to knocking some value off the car before paying import duties
on it.

Frank