 Off-Topic / Fun / 5232
Re: Gladiator
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sun, 14 May 2000 19:53:24 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Greg Majewski writes:
Anyone seen this movie yet? I did and I must say it was a lot better than I
was expecting it to be. It was a bit predictable, though. Nonetheless, I
still thought it was great! That Sciconian chariot scnee was the greatest!

Loved that scene!  A bit more gorilla-chest-pounding violence and a bit less
sappy foreshadowing and it could've been a truly great movie.  :-)  I felt it
was worth the price of admission just for the eye-candy in the initial 15
minutes.  And Man, the scenes of the architecture in ancient Rome, esp. the
Colosseum, I thought those were incredible!  Definitely a movie I want to see
again when it comes out in widescreen format on DVD...

--Todd

I've trained my wife too well since she asked me after the movie if cavalry
really would be sent on a long outflanking manuveur through the woods and if
there was any reason to use fire except cinematic.  Great opening sequence,
though.  :-)

And of course, there was the absolute trashing of history, but all in all I
enjoyed it for what it was.  Ridley Scott's artist's eye was magnificent as
always.

Gates of Fire is the movie I'm looking forward to - hopefully we will finally
have a battle that doesn't degenrate into a mob scene.

Bruce