 Off-Topic / Fun / 5156
Re: Evidence of Warm Blooded Dinosaurs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 2000 15:07:25 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Jeff Stembel wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
"Archosaur" == "ancient lizard"?  I guess I need to look that one up in the
standard literature.

:D
IIRC, Archosaur means "Ruling Lizard".  Actually, I'm quite sure.  (Monarch =
single ruler... :D )

Was that a jest?  I can't tell.  To correct or to let lie, that is the • question.

"Arch" is the prefix for "old".  Like "archaic".

"Monarch" originally meant "old man".  Eventually, its meaning was narrowed to • the person
who was typically the most important old man: the ruler.  The original version • of the word
was "arch-mon", from the Jamaican dialect.

Steve

Cut and paste from on-line dictionary:

15th century. Directly or via French monarque from late Latin monarcha from
Greek monarkhos , literally "to rule alone," from mono- "alone" + arkhein "to
rule."

Bruce