 Off-Topic / Fun / 5133
Re: Evidence of Warm Blooded Dinosaurs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 14:48:40 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

Jeff Stembel wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
Jeff Stembel wrote:

Anyone interested in Dinosaurs should check this out:
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A53547-2000Apr20.html>
Pretty cool, huh?  :)

I saw that!  It sort of confirms what palaeontologists have thought since
about 1980.  The fact that it's a plant-eater is more interesting,
though--the suggestion existed that "only predators needed that level of
energy."  Hm.

A similiar article appeared in the L.A. Times.  One would suspect that
warm-bloodedness goes back at least till the dinosaur-mammal split given • the
plant-eater angle.

This prompted me to pull out one of my dinosaur books, and examine the • dinosaur
family tree.  :)  Anyway, if this chart is correct (it's ten years old, but • I
doubt its changed much), then I'd guess Dinosaurs and mammals both evolved
warm-bloodedness separetly.

Darn sacci-frasso-rassin' kids, stealin' my thunder...;)  But yeah, that's the
story.  Why do crocodiles not have a high, warm-blooded metabolism?  They • don't
need it, and have never needed it.  They're archosaurs like monotremes are
mammals--they have *some* of the features, but not all.  Dr Gregory Paul has
written (and illustrated--he's quite talented) an excellent book called • "Predatory
Dinosaurs of the World", in which he argues quite reasonably two things:

1.  Dromaeosaurs and Cretaceous coelurosaurs (an outdated term, as it • conflates
several distinct lineages) in fact are *back-evolved* from the first birds, • based
upon structural information, metabolic clues, and evidence of later (post K-T) • bird
back-evolution into large ground predators; and

2.  Amateur and professional fossil-hunters both are guilty of mucking up the
Archosaurian family tree by vainly trying to name "their own" dinosaur, and • thus
giving specimens we can today quite readily tell are male, female, or • juvenile,
three different genera names.  Paul clears a lot of this up, and apparently he • made
some people not-too-happy by suggesting that "their" dinosaur be collapsed • into
another category.

There's a corollary to this, and that's that birds should not be in a separate
taxonomic class (Aves).  Rather, they should be a subclass under Archosauria • (which
should be a class, not a subclass of Reptilia as it's accepted
now--Archosauromorpha).  To call birds non-archosaurs is like calling bats
non-mammals, just because they can fly.

I'm not sure you can call late therapsids truly "reptiles," though.  They were
furry, after all.  If you're talking finbacks (pelycosaurs/edaphosaurs), well, • yes.

I'd like to hear other's opinions on this, especially if you have evidence • to
contradict or confirm my idea (since I just made it up :) ).  I'll also try • to
find some of my more recent books on the subject.  :)

I'm in basic agreement--although the relation of dinosaurian groups is kind of
weird right now, because I've been seeing a lot of material lately that • suggests
the "traditional view" separating dinosaurs by hip type is just plain silly, • and
that separating them by size is also just plain silly.  At least we know where • our
'gators stand; their ancestor arose in the mid-Triassic, about the same time • as the
earliest known "dinosaur" (is that still considered to be Euparkeria, or do • they
have a new "earliest and greatest" candidate?).

best

Lindsay

Fwooosh.  Clearly I haven't been paying too much attention to the
taxonomic connections of the various dinosaur branches (here's a brachiopod,
memorize it, here's a spirifer, here another boring bi-valve, you'll find oil
near this one, etc. - never let geologists run a paleontology course <g>).

Bruce